About 150 of the migrants and refugees evacuated to the new camp, built as an alternative to Moria, which was destroyed by flames last week, have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the United Nations.
After the destruction of the Moria camp on the island of Lesbos, around 12,000 people were left outdoors. On Thursday, police began an operation to transfer those who were still open to the new camp that had been set up with the help of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
According to a spokeswoman for the agency, Shabia Mantoo, there are already around 5,000 people in these new Kara Tepe facilities, which currently offer space for around 8,000 up to foreseeable expansions. UNHCR said in a statement that the police operation is currently uneventful and without the use of force by the police.
Before entering the new facilities, all migrants will undergo a rapid test to confirm or rule out that they are carriers of the new coronavirus. As a result of these massive tests, “about 150 positive cases” have already been identified, already under medical supervision and in isolation, Mantoo said.