Keep these tips in mind to avoid distractions and keep your business goals in mind.
Sometimes it seems that even though the day has long hours, there are times when the interruptions are endless and take you away from your work. What can you do to gain clarity and remove these distractions?
1. Turn off background noise. What you thought was an unimportant tone from the television or radio can be a huge distraction. So turn it off so you can focus.
2. Have a mantra that calms you down. Put a sign near your seat that says something like “calm mind”. This will be your cue to take a deep breath and relax.
3. Cleaning. Make sure your office and desk are neat and well-lit so you have the optimal space to be productive.
4. Avoid multitasking. When you feel like you are being pulled in different directions, stop and focus on one task until it is done.
5. Turn off your cell phone. If you can’t turn it off, turn off message, text, and email notifications, especially knowing that you’ll be jumping every time you hear them.
6. Take a break. Review your to-do list and prioritize. Are you wondering, should I really do this today or can I do it tomorrow?
7. Use the Internet sporadically. When you know you just need it for a little research, finish, then log out to complete the rest of the work. This will help you avoid the urge to see other things.
8. Stop counting. Don’t look at the clock, contracts, financial reports, or anything related to numbers for the other part of your brain to take control.
9. Exercise. A daily exercise program will help you recharge your batteries and give you a sense of direction, control and strength. A good morning cardio workout or stretching can boost your self-esteem and get your adrenaline pumping for the rest of the day.
10. Drive away temptation. It is important to have a place entirely dedicated to working and thinking.